You know, there are a plethora of baby novelty-things-you-need-for-your-child manufacturers out there, all trying to sell you the next big thing. Some you need, some you think you need, and some are only useful for the cardboard box they come in.
Apart from a few basics (like clothes, bedding, feeding stuff, etc.), I think the things a new Mum needs are:
- The Cot/Crib
- A Diaper Bag
- A Baby Swing
- A Travel System Stroller
- A Foam Changing Pad you can move around
- An Infant Bathtub
- A Nasal Aspirator and Baby Fingernail Clippers (cut them after a feed)
Forget those Exersaucers, all they do is encourage thigh strength and leg development, and before you know it, you’ve got a walker on your hands. Believe me, it’s only cute the first time. You don’t need half that paraphernalia they try to sell you. Everything else is just fluff. Here’s what you do need:
1. A Bleach Pen to remove projectile vomit stains from your (white) clothes. It’ll also whiten up vests/onesies stained with the ever popular blowout sessions.
2. Magic Eraser. Get rid of photo frame dark chip marks in your wall with this little beauty. Also great for removing pen from walls.
3. Baby Wipes. If you have a boy, you’ll need these to wipe the directed urine off your face when you’re changing his bum. These also remove lipstick from your shirt and yogurt from your carpet. You’ll wonder how you ever lived without them.
4. Resolve Triple Action Carpet Stain Remover Spray. After removing the excess paint with a credit card, this is the only thing that removes deep violet-coloured acrylic stains from your 6-month old carpet. Don’t ask.
5. Which brings me to: A Steam Vacuum. Self-explanatory.
6. Era Active Stain Fighting Formula. Rub this in pre-wash. Great at removing foundation, lipstick and grass stains from your shirts. Again, don’t ask.
7. Gorilla Glue. Fixes your expensive Thomasville photo frames filled with your wedding photos right up.
8. Masking Tape. You’ll need this 8 days after you move into a brand new home that has no window blinds yet and your 2.5-year-old glides a Matchbox plane into his bedroom window at curveball speed. This works until you get it repaired in the dead of winter for $107.
9. Mylicon Gas Drops: A sweet miracle in a bottle.
10. A Dry Erase Marker. Rub this over your new PC monitor screen that’s covered with black Sharpie, it’ll come right off. Don’t believe me? Go try it. Yes, do it!
11. Child Locks for Doors and Cupboards. Forget safety, these will save you grief and headaches. Pay particular attention to bathrooms and the pantry.
12. Beanbags. You’ll wonder what you ever did without one and your child will grow to love it like another appendage.
13. You Tube. Want to distract a crying baby or toddler and going outside to look at the moon isn’t cutting it? Then search for ‘In the Night Garden episodes’. Problem solved. It may appear as though the producers of this children’s show have questionable extra-curricular activities, but your little one will love it. And, it’s far less obnoxious than Smellytubbies. It also has a catchy, adorable theme tune that will get stuck in your head for months. You can thank me later.
We LOVE In the Night Garden — I had it sent for my little munchkin’s Xmas last year and luckily it plays on my DVD!!
My first baby lived on Mylicon. She was cholic and that was like liquid gold to me.
Neither of my kids are little any longer, but I can’t live without a bleach pen and wipes. And I graduated from masking to duct tape.
Hehehe, funny how so many of those are sticky things that hold other things together or things to remove the wrong kind of sticky things from other things.
Thanks for making me laugh… Great memories with each point.
you forgot alcohol… 😉
I don’t even have kids and those are some good items to have around period!
I disagree with #9 a bit. I thought it didn’t work well. If you put Baby’s Bliss Gripe Water in place of Mylicon, you’ve got a winner.
I’d never heard of Mylicon drops until I came to the States. Guess what we use in the UK? Yep, Gripe Water.
and where were you, my dear, when my children were babies and this information would have helped?
I’m totally with you on the Mylicon drops…those things are from heaven!
Never needed a baby swing or a travel system. I’d a sling to your list. I would have been lost without mine.
You definitely got your funny back!!! But I never thought it left you.
thank you very much. those are the cool items that we need to follow 😀